Thursday 17 September 2009

no i don't have any important meetings

A jet black Polo had been tailing my car for 50 metres and I could see its driver making very obvious signs of impatience, even more so when I turned into the car park where he was going too. For he would have to tail me a little longer. I parked. So did he. And, despite my sluggishness and his hurried pace, we both arrived on the platform with a little time to spare.

He came up to me and asked if I had been the one driving the car in front of him. I said to him yes, it was me and I hated people who stuck to my arse, as they say in French. To which he answered that he had a very important meeting, time was short, he hadn't even had time to put his watch on, look, it's here in my bag still, why was I driving under the speed limit, perhaps I didn't work but he did, and he could bet I was a civil servant or something. I said no, no I'm not. I'm a science writer. "Oh all the same you people", says he. "Free lancers. All the time in the world."