Tuesday 31 March 2009

sad

His car was a big and powerful car. Far more powerful than my little car which was trying to overtake it. So big that the little car trying to overtake it could have parked inside it. But there was no way he was going to let me do it. Every iota of his mingy little maleness fled to the tips of his fingers and the ends of his toes. He was not going to let me disgrace him. He was not going to let me make a fool out of him. So he pushed his pitiful right foot down on the accelerator and made sure that I wouldn't get past him. And we drove side by side for as long as one of us didn't give up the petty game. I would have gone faster if I could. But I couldn't. And what he saw as yet another human weakness and inferiority filled him with an ego so thick he could have wallowed in it. So I slowed down. And let him overtake me. It made no difference to me. And I had made his day.